mariofanatic166
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waiting for the Wii...

4 posters

Go down

Waiting for the Wii... Empty Waiting for the Wii...

Post by Calcatchem Thu May 22, 2008 8:12 pm

This is really old but I figured I would share it with you guys...I posted it up on Gamespot forums a really long time ago.

My Wii experience began just about a week and a day ago, on Saturday, November 18th, 2006, just 1 day before the release of the Wii. Thinking smart, I invited two of my best friends with me to the mall to see if we would be able to grab ourselves the brand new revolutionary Nintendo console at a midnight launch at the Trumbull and Milford Malls. Sadly to say, all I got were dirty looks and angry remarks from unhappy GameStop employees.

"We're NOT having a Wii launch at midnight because there are plentiful sources of Wiis around!" an E/B associate told me.

I then responded "...well can you give me an exact count of your Wii units as well as the Twilight Princess pre-orders too?"

"GET OUT!" the associate exclaimed.

Feeling a bit discouraged and disapointed, my friends offered a hearty meal of 100 wings at the new Wild Buffalo Wings place at Milford at approx 8:00PM. We had a blast and our waiter was really cool, and it cheered me up a bit even tho I doubted I would get a Wii. We left just after the 'Milford Riots' event had cleared out the mall; police cars lined the parking lots everywhere that night and it took us awile to get home.

After pulling off the connecter, I suddenly got the bright idea of waiting outside of Best Buy in Trumbull, one of my favorite places to shop and also where I spent about +$1000 in the past few months there. We ran home, got some stuff for the campout, and drove back. There couldn't be anyone there now? Most people would probably get there at 5AM, considering Target was right across the way! I was very wrong...

Tents lined the main entrance in the rear of the Shopping Mall area. We jumped in line at #29, suppososedly of #45 units that were at Best Buy. Lucky enough a Best Buy employee was waiting as well, and was able to answer a few eager questions about my concerns about actually getting the Wii. He reassured me that it would be a very organized process and that he would ensure I left Sunday morning with a Wii in my hands.

What I figured with the PS3 launches, which, of course happened, was sheer pandimonium and rioting. Limited units makes for a huge demand (thus the rocketing E-Bay prices) and caused many to thrash out in return against other waiting gamers. PS3 really destroyed alot of the hardcore gamer concept because 1 in every 5 people that actually bought a PS3 on launch day was actually planning on keeping it and playing it for themselves. At Best Buy that Saturday night, what I found was truly connected and really nice nintendo fanboys. A bunch of teens hooked up a generator and provided us with the Gamecube classic Super Smash bros Melee as we prepared our fingers for Sunday's gaming fun with our Wii's. The night was filled with fact telling, the best "how I got my N64/Ps2/Xbox/NES stories", and some shopping cart fun at about 4am.

6:00 AM arrived...the official countdown began with 180 minutes until we entered the store. Our lucky Target friends (who we harassed continually thru the night, and I might note the very big wanker #1 in line) were able to score their Wii's at 8:00AM, due to Target's opening at 8:00AM. Both stores, prior to their opening, would hand out Wii Tickets ensuring the lucky 40 or someodd people in line that they were guranteed a Wii Unit. It was tough to see alot of the 5'AM'er's crowd going home upset, angry, and pissed, that their waiting went for nothing.

8:45....only 15 minutes to go...everyone said what games they were planning on grabbing first and what accessories they wanted and what they were going to play first when they got home. The line formation straightened up and we all prepared for that final rush to get the new Nintendo Wii...

9:00. This was it. From 10:50PM till now, I had waited enough for this. A full bladder, cold as hell from only wearing a long shirt in 30*F weather, and a bit sleepy, I barged thru the 20's and 10's to get up front. Quickly snatching a Twilight Princess copy off of the shelf, I quickly made a decision to grab Activision's newest Call of Duty 3 game, exclusively for the Wii and other consoles (until earlier this week on the PC) I headed for the checkout. There on a table of about 45 units, sat my Wii. It was like picking a suitcase full of money out of a pile, and I was getting the lucky one. I beamed as an friendly associate smiled to me and said "congratulations!" Finalizing things at the checkout, I walked out the door jumping for joy and happiness, Wii in hand with accessories in the other. I had done it.

I must say that while I did catch a bit of a cold, called out from my job, sleep deprived and all, this was an unbelieveable experience and I loved every minute of it. I've never had so much fun waiting for something in my whole life...not waiting for that super intense rollercoaster at Hershey park for 3 hours, not waiting to meet the OCC crew at the Danbury Fair Mall in November of 2004, nothing compared to this whole night, and I must say, you'll see me there again for SMG and SSBB later next year!
Calcatchem
Calcatchem
Forum Noob
Forum Noob

http://www.minimotogp.tk

Back to top Go down

Waiting for the Wii... Empty Re: Waiting for the Wii...

Post by mariofanatic166 Thu May 22, 2008 10:48 pm

Wow! Shocked Must have taken you a long time to type all that! Took me a while to read all of it too! Razz

I was #2 out 8 at Gamestop. The store opened up at 10:00 a.m. and what sucks... I knew that I had the chance to sleep in... the 8th person arrived at 8:00 a.m. which was really depressing Crying or Very sad

I got the Wii, an extra Remote and Nunchuck, Twilight Princess and Rayman Raving Rabbids.
mariofanatic166
mariofanatic166
Admin
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/mariofanatic166

Back to top Go down

Post by Paperyoshi Thu May 22, 2008 11:19 pm

I got my wii on Christmas ^^ . My dad asked in a random store if they add a wii to sell and they told him that they haved a reserved one and the guy was suposed to go take him 2 weeks ago and they decided to sell it to my dad.
And i only have 1 controller (wiimote+nunchuck) and 2 gamecube controller.
My games are :

-Mario strikers charged
-Legend of Zelda twilight princess
-Super smash bros brawl
-Mario kart wii
Paperyoshi
Paperyoshi

http://fr.youtube.com/user/Yoshiandme

Back to top Go down

Post by Calcatchem Fri May 23, 2008 5:43 pm

You guys are lucky! The place where I went to was really lined up, there I jumped in at #29 at 10:50PM with my friends. I'm so happy I brought them along, they weren't planning on getting Wii anyway but we had so much fun just fooling around in the parking lot and playing SSBM on somebody's Gamecube rigged to a generator.
Calcatchem
Calcatchem
Forum Noob
Forum Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by mariofanatic166 Fri May 23, 2008 5:46 pm

Paperyoshi wrote:
My games are :

-Mario strikers charged
-Super smash bros brawl
-Mario kart wii

Those are the only Wii games you have?!

I have like, 20!
mariofanatic166
mariofanatic166
Admin
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/mariofanatic166

Back to top Go down

Post by Paperyoshi Fri May 23, 2008 5:56 pm

well thats beacause im paying them myself.....and i can't buy games for now because i need to save some money for my driving lessons.
Paperyoshi
Paperyoshi

http://fr.youtube.com/user/Yoshiandme

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Sat May 24, 2008 6:17 pm

mariofanatic166 wrote:
Paperyoshi wrote:
My games are :

-Mario strikers charged
-Super smash bros brawl
-Mario kart wii

Those are the only Wii games you have?!

I have like, 20!

what are you complaining about, atleast he has a wii Sad

I wanted one, but we couldn't find one, and I was told that "We dn't have the money for one". Sad
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Calcatchem Sun May 25, 2008 7:07 pm

I wanted one, but we couldn't find one, and I was told that "We dn't have the money for one". Sad

You'll get one soon enough, friend.

Just help out around the house, maybe do some chores for a family friend? If you're old enough, maybe babysitting for a relative or find a part time job with just a few hours a week?
Calcatchem
Calcatchem
Forum Noob
Forum Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Sun May 25, 2008 8:31 pm

Calcatchem wrote:

You'll get one soon enough, friend.

Just help out around the house, maybe do some chores for a family friend? If you're old enough, maybe babysitting for a relative or find a part time job with just a few hours a week?

all ready babysit, but no pay Evil or Very Mad
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum